Navigating the currents of life... the hopes and dreams of building a family...married with 4 kids... living in a university town... middle-aged and growing older... all forms of bicycling (recumbent, fixed gear, road, xtracycle)... christus victor theology... left slanted politics... being Asian American... trying to make our world a better place for all... the hope of caring for the least among us... Jesus as a revolutionary...Cancer Survivor... Loving all things Code

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Caleb moves to San Diego


Pearl and I "launched" Caleb on his college career. I have been home but an hour and his absence is already felt.

It was a strange weekend, knowing that we would be returning without Caleb. I sensed that Caleb was apprehensive, but also excited: a healthy response to the stress of so many changes. During our orientations, our paths occasionally crossed and I wasn't sure if Pearl and I should approach him or let him be with his new peers. It was a balancing act--how much to let go, how fast. It always is. I was pleased to see Caleb grow, seek his own path, and take the initiative in meeting his new classmates.

As for me, the emotions run deep. It is a mixed feeling. I recall my own "launch" a flight across the country, a taxi ride across Groton bridge, arriving at Chase Hall near midnight. While I miss him, I sense that Caleb is ready, so I am excited for him. Letting go is a process. I felt the weekend helped me sort through my own feelings as well. I sensed that Caleb was ready and that feeling was the source of my strength. The parent orientation hosted a panel and numerous books on "letting go" insisting that parents can't expect their students to call everyday. It helped me to see Caleb excited about the future. I am proud of him and look forward to forging a new relationship with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers