Navigating the currents of life... the hopes and dreams of building a family...married with 4 kids... living in a university town... middle-aged and growing older... all forms of bicycling (recumbent, fixed gear, road, xtracycle)... christus victor theology... left slanted politics... being Asian American... trying to make our world a better place for all... the hope of caring for the least among us... Jesus as a revolutionary...Cancer Survivor... Loving all things Code

Monday, March 16, 2020

Social Distancing in the age of COVID 19

I am overwhelmed with this phenomena -- a public health crisis like nothing I have every imagined.  Just as I was becoming comfortable meeting new people and creating new community, we (as a society) are forced to self isolate.   How long with this last?   

To keep my sanity, I go for walks, ride my bike, or relax at the park or around the fire pit.  I've been working in the yard and meditating at the window or at night, when I can't sleep.

When the weather is nice and I'm working from home, I move out to the backyard.

A simple highlight for today was seeing Cold Shot on Facebook.  Only a few weeks ago, I enjoyed hearing and dancing to this band at the local Davis venues.   So, it brought a smile to my face, when I saw their facebook video of their recent social distancing performance.  I immediately started dancing!   It was the highlight of my day! 

I certainly miss my coworkers, friends, and new friends at the Odd Fellows and meditation center.  I also miss the local music venues, UCD performances, and the local museum exhibits.  I miss driving around and going shopping.

Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel, but for now, I take it one day at a time.

I wonder how this crisis will change societal norms, culture, dreams.   I wonder how this crisis will impact my own worldview of how I want to spend the remainder of my limited days.

Currently, I have been focused on the California State Payroll System.  For a fraction of the cost, I am sure my staff could build this project.   The project keeps my mind busy, or should I say, distracted -- during the crisis.

Prior defining moments of a generation include the Kennedy assassination, the moon landing, breaking down the Berlin wall, and 9/11.   The 9/11 era is over.  Will the great recession of 2008 only be a footnote to the COVID 19 pandemic?   Time will tell.   Until then, I need to make it through one more day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers